Sunday, April 7, 2013

Chapter 12, 13 and 14

Calpurnia's chruch
Jem and I went with Calpurnia to her church the other day. We both felt unwelcome at first when this colored women came up to us and was aggravated with Calpurnia for bringing us white children to their place, but the Reverend said otherwise. Their church ways are a bit different then ours. Instead of everyone having their own hymnals to sing from, only one person does. He sings one line from the song and then everyone else repeats after him. I found out they did this because the church can't afford books for everyone, and even if they did, none of the people would be able to read from it. Near the end of the service the reverend asks for collection of money for a person named Tom Robinson's family. This is the person Atticus is defending in court. Tom's wife can't find work anymore to support her kids, so when not a lot of donations are given, the Reverend wouldn't let anyone leave the church until he had 10 dollars. It was a very different experience from what my brother and I know.
I also found out that my Aunt Alexandra is going to be staying at our house for awhile. I don't like it that much since she only cares about how we look and wants me to start wearing dresses. She also told me that I couldn't go back to the church with Calpurnia, which I don't think she really has a say in, but Atticus told me to listen to her, so I suppose I will have to endure her stay.

Dill
In other news Dill ran away from home and came to our house. I found him under my bed one night. He wasn't suppose to visit Maycomb this summer since his mother got remarried and he was going to stay with them in Meridian. He came here though because ever since his new father came along, he feels like he isn't cared enough for by his mom. Jem goes on and tells on him by telling Atticus about Dill's arrival. Atticus wasn't mad, but did tell his Aunt Rachel about him being in Maycomb. I just hope hes able to stay with us.






No comments:

Post a Comment